
The wife of a Saudi blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes ‘for insulting Islam’ today accused the government of
killing her husband week by week - and spoke of her agony at ‘watching him die one lash at a time’.
Raif Badawi, who wrote a blog on human rights and social change, is being flogged 50 times every Friday for
supposedly insulting religious figures and undermining the regime - a charge he and his wife Ensaf Haidar
strenuously deny.
The first 50 of the lashes were inflicted in front of hundreds in the main square in Jeddah last week - and the
same is due to happen again today, and for the next 18 weeks, until all 1,000 have been completed.
It is believed Raif, a 31-year-old father of three, will need hospital attention after each flogging; it has been
suggested his body will not be able to sustain the assault over the coming weeks.
For Ensaf, almost 6,000 miles away in Quebec, it is too much to bear.
Ensaf is still shocked it has come to this: she knew her husband wrote a blog called Free Saudi Liberals, but
never thought it would draw the attentions of the authorities like it did.
He was arrested in June 2012 - although it had been expected for a while, as the government had blocked his
bank accounts and banned him from leaving the country in 2009.
At first, he was accused of apostasy - or renouncing Islam, a charge which, if found guilty, would have meant
beheading.
lashes after being found guilty by an anti-terrorism court of 'undermining the regime and officials,' ''inciting public
opinion' and 'insulting the judiciary'.
killing her husband week by week - and spoke of her agony at ‘watching him die one lash at a time’.
Raif Badawi, who wrote a blog on human rights and social change, is being flogged 50 times every Friday for
supposedly insulting religious figures and undermining the regime - a charge he and his wife Ensaf Haidar
strenuously deny.
The first 50 of the lashes were inflicted in front of hundreds in the main square in Jeddah last week - and the
same is due to happen again today, and for the next 18 weeks, until all 1,000 have been completed.
It is believed Raif, a 31-year-old father of three, will need hospital attention after each flogging; it has been
suggested his body will not be able to sustain the assault over the coming weeks.
For Ensaf, almost 6,000 miles away in Quebec, it is too much to bear.

Shocking footage of Raif being whipped in the square is available online, filmed secretly.
Just as those present reported, Raif stands strong, and quietly, while two guards dole out the punishment, and
the crowds jeer.
Speaking to the MailOnline, she said:
‘Saudi Arabia is endangering his health and life – if they go through with the whole 1,000 lashes, they are
killing him more every week. It is a criminal act.’
Ensaf and the couple's three children, Najwa, 11, Terad, 10, and Miriam, seven, have been living in a small town
in Canada since November 2011.They fled Saudi Arabia when Raif was arrested, spending two years living in
Lebanon before being granted refugee status.It means - although they are safe - none of them have seen Raif for
more than four years and, since he was moved to a new prison two-and-a-half weeks ago, no one has spoken to
him either.
However, Ensaf, 35, did have friends in the square last Friday - including Raif's sister.Ensaf said.
'She unfortunately witnessed the flogging,' She was there to try and support her brother.'He was very
strong - he was silent during the flogging.'
But the advent of technology means Ensaf has also been able to see what happened to her husband.

Ensaf is still shocked it has come to this: she knew her husband wrote a blog called Free Saudi Liberals, but
never thought it would draw the attentions of the authorities like it did.
He was arrested in June 2012 - although it had been expected for a while, as the government had blocked his
bank accounts and banned him from leaving the country in 2009.
At first, he was accused of apostasy - or renouncing Islam, a charge which, if found guilty, would have meant
beheading.
It was upped to 10 years and 1,000 lashes after he appealed the sentence.
‘I was surprised, because I never thought it would go this far,' Ensaf said.
'What he is has been accused of is not true. He did not insult the religion and Islam or any member of the
government. The blog was only about social change and human rights.He did not do anything wrong - he is
a prisoner of conscience.’But it was thrown out by Sadi Arabia's high court, and Raif was sentenced to seven years in prison and 600
lashes after being found guilty by an anti-terrorism court of 'undermining the regime and officials,' ''inciting public
opinion' and 'insulting the judiciary'.

Yet on Thursday the Saudi government confirmed this week's flogging would go ahead in the Jeddah square,
which has earned the grisly nickname 'Chop Chop Square' as the site of executions

No comments:
Post a Comment